Monday, November 21, 2011

Music

Originally written 11/21/11

I will begin by making a disclaimer here: This is a long post. I wrote it mostly for me, so don't feel that you have to read the whole thing. It's probably not that interesting anyway.

The blessing of music in my life has been one of the things I'm most grateful for. Music can match any mood, whether to bring you further down or raise you higher up. Singing is a great outlet for me to share the emotions that are inside of me. I also love how an uplifting song can bring my soul out of the depths of despair too.


I'm so grateful that I have been blessed with a musical ability. It has changed my life so many times over. When I was a little girl, I have heard stories about how I would go around singing all the time. My Aunt Diane tells of how she would stick me on the coffee table and have me sing "Meet Me in St. Louis" for her mom. I was not shy back then. I also remember walking through the grocery store with my mom. I would be singing the jingles of all the products I could think of. I had ulterior motives to this. I wasn't just singing because I loved to sing. No, I was singing jingles because I was certain that my talent would be discovered and that I would be the next little face for Oscar Mayer . Silly? Maybe. But at least I was shooting for the stars, right?


Over the years, I have had the opportunity to sing with many different groups and for many different reasons. In high school, I had an experience that would change the way I felt about my talent. I auditioned for the A Capella group (300 students). I had a pretty good relationship with the choir director because I had been in his mixed choir and also the bell choir. I was upset to find out that I hadn't made the A Capella and asked him about it. He simply told me that I had no singing ability. All the confidence I had gained were lost then and there. I didn't want to sing around other people anymore. I still loved to sing, but questioned my ability. Had people been lying to me all those years? Was I like one of those people that auditions for American Idol being totally clueless that they are horrendous? Needless to say, I was devastated.


I would still do group choirs and ward choir from that point on, but I never tried to do anything solo because I had no talent. I didn't want people to know, so I just hid behind others. Then I met Teresa. She was an angel. Teresa directed a choir that I joined. She was also the director of "The Sound of Music" that I had the privilege to be in. Teresa brought out that spark in me again. She helped me to see what I was capable of and pushed me to the limits and beyond. I will never forget when I told her that I couldn't do something and she told me that I was more amazing than I knew and that God had blessed me with something great. She helped me to see that there are endless possibilities with God as our partner. I had always known that, but had failed to believe it was true for ME. Well, I think you know what I mean.


So, what am I doing now with music, you may wonder? I am currently singing with a group called Because We Also Sing, which is a mixed chorus just for the Christmas season. In the spring, I will sing with We Also sing, which is a women's chorus. Both choirs are under the direction of Merrilee Webb and she is amazing. She teaches at Dixie in St. George and comes up on the weekend so she can direct the choir. My life has been changed by the music and by the experience of singing with these great choirs. I have also learned a lot through the spirit that the music brings.


I can't believe how long it took me to get back into singing this time around, but I am so grateful that I have an outlet for my music once again. I will end by sharing some of the words to a beautiful song called "The Melody Within", which was written by Kurt Bestor for the movie Rigoletto.


Music boxes have within,melodies they carry with them,
Once they open music fills the air.
Every person you have known,has a song all their own,

Once they open up you'll hear whats there.
It's not easy you must listen with your heart for what lies hidden.
There was a melody, locked deep inside of me

But now its free, it found a place embraced by harmony, sweet harmony,
Love more than anything teaches our hearts to sing,

Only love, could break the spell,
Now I know, very well,
The love within myself.


It's true that each person has a melody inside of them. I'm so grateful that mine is finally getting out again. Music truly is a wonderful and powerful thing. I can allow it to drag me down by listening to music that is negative, or I can be raised up by music that is positive and uplifting. I choose the second of the two.

4/11/12 So, singing with Because We Also Sing for Christmas was lots of fun and I'm glad that i did it because Merrilee said that she will probably not be doing the mixed chorus again.

We are now back into We Also Sing rehearsals and have a concert at the Tabernacle 5/11/12. I'm pretty excited for that concert and I love that we also do a recording prior to the concert as well.

Something else exciting: The day after our concert, I'm going to China. With Merrilee and her choir from Dixie State College. I. AM. SO. EXCITED!!!! There will be more to follow about that.

No comments: