Friday, November 18, 2011

#14 The Kindness of a Stranger

I wrote this on 11/14 and never posted it, so I figured I may as well post it.

When I left work at the hospital today, I came upon a very flat tire. Darn it! I only have 30 minutes between jobs and I was already running behind in leaving. So, I sat in the parking lot in my skirt and WHITE sweater and started loosening the lug nuts and doing the "change your tire" thing.

One man saw me and came over to offer help. I thought "yay" until he told me he couldn't really use his arm due to a shoulder injury(we ARE at the hospital after all). He must have told another man about the tire issue on his way in to the hospital because a really nice gentleman came and offered assistance. He had that tire changed so much faster than I would have. I COULD have and WOULD have done it because I know how to change tires, but today I am grateful for other people that go out of their way to give seemingly small acts of service that make all the difference. Thanks John!!!

Follow up: The following day, Matt took the car in to get the tire fixed/replaced and found out that the tire was in bad condition. They told him it would have blown on the freeway and could have caused an accident if I had been driving around on it any more than I had. Thank heavens for small miracles. I'm so grateful that it was just flat in the parking lot and that nothing terrible happened. I'd rather be 15 minutes late for work than have a horrible accident.

No comments: