Sunday, September 5, 2010

Avoidance

I find that I avoid writing in my blog because I have the tendency to compare my writing to the other friends and family I know that blog. I'm not creative enough or I can't find the words to express myself the way that I really want to. But, I'm not really a writer. So this is more for me to try and find some form of journaling that I will actually follow through with.

As I thought about the reasons for me to NOT blog, I realized something. I use the same reasons for NOT doing a lot of things. I don't really get into scrapbooking anymore because I compare what I do to my sister and my Mom. Mom is a professional scrapbooker and Megan might as well be. They are amazing and I'm always stressing so much over whether or not my page is up to par or if it's going to embarrass me.

I'm not as good at organizing things as my little sister Liz, so sometimes I just give up, realizing that I don't have what it takes to become totally organized. Baking....forget about it. The entire family has me beat on that one. Sewing.....not my thing either.

So, why is it that I feel the need to always be comparing myself to the other people around me? I have good qualities and talents, but I find myself thinking they aren't enough for one reason or another. Then I feel justified in not trying.

That's pretty sad to think about. Maybe if I started trying new things or working on things that I'm not really good at, I might actually find ways to be good at things. What a concept, right?

So, I'm going to try to challenge myself to try new things. (I'm still not eating boiled okra though.) Whether it be trying a new recipe, learning a new craft, or going out to new places, I need some more variety in my life.

Is it just me or is there anyone else that finds themselves in a rut on a regular basis? Even when we go out to eat, which isn't very often, I always get the same thing from every place we ever go. The same sandwich from Subway, the same pasta from Archibald's, etc. I'm 30 years old and I'm BORING!! That has got to change.

I need to find inexpensive things to do that are fun and will make me feel less boring. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We can't spend too much because we are trying to get debt free at the same time that we are trying to put money into our "Baby Fund" for the adoption. There have to be fun things that we can do though. So, I'm on a quest to have some fun and dare to be different and try new things. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Meichelle said...

Wow. This was very touching to me. I find myself doing this all the time. Stopping hobbies because I am not as good as so and so, or comparing myself to everyone else.
You are an amazing lady! You are awesome!
Meich

The Flower Maiden said...

Good luck finding new exciting things to do. It is all too easy to get stuck in a rut. Also, I think your writing is perfectly fine. :)

Anonymous said...

You know what? There will always be someone better and there will always be someone less skilled at almost any task you do...except for being the best Christie you can be. That is all that is requested, all that is required. Just keep at it. No one is good at everything, so I think your idea of trying new things is a good place to begin. I didn't even start scrapbooking until I was 40, so you have 10 years to go until you get to that point. Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day...neither is a talent, a hobby or a successful life. One step at a time, little by little, you will grow and develop. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...try, try, try!!!

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

Your the best at being Christie! Your an awesome friend and wish I had your big heart. I agree that you just got to try though! You'll never know if you like something or if your good at it if you don't try. I need to catch up with you one of these first days. Once Isaac gets back into school this week I'll have more time...maybe! Good luck on your new "adventure"!

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

Oh and glad you updated! I hope you'll try and be better with that because I like to know what's going on with you! You could make this your journal of trying new things? Love ya!