Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Fourth of July 2012

Yesterday was such a nice day. Matt and I were invited to go to Cindy and Byron's for a flag ceremony, a few patriotic thoughts and breakfast. They did everything in front of the barn and the morning weather was beautiful. It was nice to have a cool morning since we were outside for a couple hours. Grandma Naylor was there and she had the Watkins crew visiting from Arizona. It was so nice to see Marian's family because they have been living in Iowa for the last several years and they haven't made it to many family things lately.

After breakfast, Matt and I went back to Grandma's so we could continue visiting with the out-of-towners. We were there for a few hours and then determined that we should head home so I could make something to take to the BBQ we had later in the day.

I made fruit pizza for the BBQ and we headed over to Laurie and Jeremy's to hang out with the Severinsen family. There was lots of visiting, lots of tasty food and some fireworks. The boys (including Matt) played with all the little kids out back and some of the women (including me) pulled out Carcassone and played it in the backyard. It was the first time that I've ever played it, and I really enjoyed playing. I am thinking that Matt and I will have to add that one to our repertoire.

We stayed until about 9:30 and left just as they were starting the fireworks show. I know that we missed out on a great show, but we were going into a work day and get up around 4:30. We didn't want to be total zombies for the folowing day. (I actually would have stayed if Matt hadn't wanted to go, but he doesn't deal with a lack of sleep as well as I do. So, my love for him trumps watching fireworks.)

I am so very grateful to live in this amazing country where I can enjoy so many freedoms. I think I'm even more grateful for America after traveling to China and seeing such a difference. Happy Birthday America!! And a special thank you to all of our military men and women that fight for us to keep our freedoms. I am so grateful for your sacrifices.

No comments: